The Byte Stream Classes
Byte streams are defined by using two class hierarchies. At the top are two abstract classes: InputStream and OutputStream.
|BufferedInputStream||Buffered input stream|
|BufferedOutputStream||Buffered output stream|
|ByteArrayInputStream||Input stream that reads from a byte array|
|ByteArrayOutputStream||Output stream that writes to a byte array|
|DataInputStream||An input stream that contains methods for reading the Java standard data types|
|DataOutputStream||An output stream that contains methods for writing the Java standard data types|
|FileInputStream||Input stream that reads from a file|
|FileOutputStream||Output stream that writes to a file|
|InputStream||Abstract class that describes stream input|
|ObjectInputStream||Input stream for objects|
|ObjectOutputStream||Output stream for objects|
|OutputStream||Abstract class that describes stream output|
|PrintStream||Output stream that contains print( ) and println( )|
|PushbackInputStream||Input stream that supports one-byte "unget," which returns a byte to the input stream|
|RandomAccessFile||Supports random access file I/O|
|SequenceInputStream||Input stream that is a combination of two or more input streams that will be read sequentially, one after the other|
Methods from InputStream
- Returns an estimate of the number of bytes that can be read (or skipped over) from this input stream without blocking by the next invocation of a method for this input stream.
- Closes this input stream and releases any system resources associated with the stream.
void mark(int readlimit)
- Marks the current position.
- if this input stream supports the mark and reset methods.
abstract int read()
- Reads the next byte.
int read(byte b)
- Reads some number of bytes and stores them into the buffer array b.
int read(byte b, int off, int len)
- Reads up to len bytes of data into an array of bytes.
- Repositions this stream to the position at the time the mark method was last called.
long skip(long n)
- Skips over and discards n bytes.
Revised from Open JDK source code