// Copyright 2008 The Apache Software Foundation
// Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
// you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
// You may obtain a copy of the License at
// Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
// distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
// WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
// See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
// limitations under the License.
* Contains static methods useful for manipulating exceptions.
public class ExceptionUtils
* Locates a particular type of exception, working its way via the cause property of each exception in the exception
* @param t the outermost exception
* @param type the type of exception to search for
* @return the first exception of the given type, if found, or null
public static <T extends Throwable> T findCause(Throwable t, Class<T> type)
Throwable current = t;
while (current != null)
if (type.isInstance(current)) return type.cast(current);
// Not a match, work down.
current = current.getCause();